A carousel is more commonly found in fairgrounds and seaside towns but now social media platforms are coining the term for multi-image scrolling experiences. Here’s how to use Twitter’s Carousel (for free!)
Last month Twitter rolled out it’s new Tweet Composer which allows you to ‘build’ your tweet and see a preview of how it will look before you publish. You can add up to 280 characters, including emojis as well as a picture or video and a link.
But now, you can do more.
With Twitter’s Carousel feature you can add between 2-6 images or videos to tell a story, catch the scroller’s attention and ultimately pull them away from social media and on to your website. This is how they work.
1. Head to Twitter Ads
Click ‘more’ on the menu which is on the left hand side of Twitter for desktop. Then click ‘Twitter Ads’
2. Under the ‘Creatives’ menu select ‘Tweet Composer’
Top Tip: Can’t see ‘creatives’? Then click here: How to access the ‘creatives’ tab
3. Chose ‘Carousel’ from the two options shown, then click ‘Add Media’
4. Upload 2-6 images from your computer / device and click the arrow to return to the previous page.
5. Write the tweet you’d like to send (up to 280 characters)
Top Tip: You can drag and drop the images into the order that you want them to be displayed (the top image will be the first to display in your carousel)
6. You’ll see that the tweet preview, on the right hand side, still needs a headline and a link – scroll down and pop that in
The ‘Promoted-only’ tick-box is automatically ticked – make sure you un-tick this before Tweeting.
7. Once you’re happy with how it looks, scroll back up and you’re ready to Tweet!
Top Tip: The little drop down menu from the ‘Tweet’ button also allows you to schedule your Tweet for a later date.
Congrats, you did it!
In order to access Twitter Ads you’ll need to add a payment method. You will not be charged for creating the carousel as per the steps above.
To add a payment method:
- Head to Twitter Ads as per Step 1.
- Click the ‘Create an ad’ button.
- You may be prompted to confirm your timezone then click ‘Let’s go’.
- A pop up will display asking you to ‘Choose your objective’ – exit this by clicking ‘cancel’ in the bottom right of the screen.
- In the top right there will be your account name, in this case it was UNISON South West this will show a drop down option.
- Click ‘Add new payment method’, select ‘Personal’.
- Add a credit / debit card to your account and, as if by magic, the ‘creatives’ tab will appear